Stay connected with Talking Radical!
- Review: Keywords for Radicals[Kelly Fritsch, Clare O'Connor, and Ak Thompson, editors. Keywords for Radicals: The Contested Vocabulary of Late-Capitalist Struggle. Chico CA: AK Press, 2016.] For a long time -- longer, at least, than I've been thinking about such things myself -- one important element of both internal and external conflict involving the broadly-defined left has
- Review: Normal Life[Dean Spade. Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics, and the Limits of the Law. Durham NC: Duke University Press, 2015.] This is a classic of radical trans politics, written by legal scholar and organizer Dean Spade, and originally published by the sadly now-defunct South End Press in 2009 and re-released by Duke University Press in 20
- PLEASE, Canadians: Don't share pieces on the US electionI want to make a simple request to everyone in Canada who thinks of themselves as in some sense or another part of the left. I don't actually suppose that anyone will listen -- after all, who am I to ask such a thing? -- but I will ask nonetheless. And my request is this: I want all of us to commit, for the period between right now and November 9, not t
- To make social change, knowledge is never enoughIt shouldn't be news that knowledge alone is never enough. Ignorance isn't the root cause of oppression, education won't singlehandedly change the world, and uncovering just the right fact will not be the catalyst that leads to global transformation. Just because that liberal conception of knowledge-as-social-panacea is foolishness doesn'
- Tell me about grassroots history-from-below projects in Canada!Perhaps the most obvious way to summarize a great deal of the work that I've done over the last two decades -- including the books and radio show of the Talking Radical project, but also a lot of things that haven't happened under that banner -- is the tag-line that I put in the header of the Talking Radical website: "historical & contempo
- Review: Keywords for Radicals
Category Archives: Other Writing by Scott
(Published at Rabble.ca on March 29, 2012.) Exile and Pride (Classics Edition): Disability, Queerness, and Liberation by Eli Clare (South End Press, 2009; $19.99) I often feel that describing the pieces that I write in response to books as “reviews” … Continue reading
(Published at Left Eye On Books on September 27, 2011.) The best part of “Earth Into Property: Colonization, Decolonization, and Capitalism,” the second and final entry in Globalization Studies professor Anthony Hall’s “The Bowl with One Spoon” project, is his … Continue reading
(Published at Left Eye On Books on May 20, 2011.) Few features of the political culture here in Canada are more likely to set my teeth on edge than the devotion not only of the right and center but of … Continue reading
(Published at New Socialist Webzine on April 18, 2011.) We hear a lot these days about the need for cuts to public spending, for saving money. The use of this rhetoric to cover massive changes in how our lives and … Continue reading
(Published at XYOnline on January 7, 2011.) I was recently puzzling over why I was having such difficulty doing a particular piece of writing. Everything I tried felt a little off key, a little false, and I couldn’t understand it. … Continue reading
(Published in Linchpin in December 2010.) “If your Mom didn’t take care of you [when you were a child], would you be able to go to work?” Those are the words of trade union activist, graduate student, and single mother … Continue reading
(Published in The Bullet: Socialist Project E-bulletin on October 3, 2010.) The 150 members of Unit 2 of Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) Local 677 have been on strike since August 16. The office, technical, and administrative workers at … Continue reading